1703 North Beauregard Street
Alexandria, VA 22311-1714
Tel: 1-800-933-ASCD (2723)
8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Eastern time, Monday through Friday
Local to the D.C. area, 703-578-9600, press 2
Toll-free from U.S. and Canada, 1-800-933-ASCD (2723), press 2
All other countries (International Access Code) + 1-703-578-9600, press 2
69th ASCD Annual Conference & Exhibit Show Live Stream
Professional Development Institutes
Conference on Teaching Excellence
The new Common Core State Standards (CCSS) provide a clear set of worthy educational outcomes. However, as noted in the documents, “standards are not curriculum.” Educators must use the standards as a basis for designing coherent and engaging curricula that goes beyond the textbook to support good teaching and learning.
This two-day professional development institute focuses on ways of using the Understanding by Design (UbD) Framework ® to unpack the Common Core Standards and create the high-quality curricula and assessments needed to prepare students for the demands of college and the workplace.
The purposes of this one-day PDI are to link classroom formative assessment practices to instructional shifts in CCSS ELA and Mathematics. Explore the ways in which assessment tasks can inform instruction. Construct an error analysis tool aligned with a Common Core State Standard and to develop a formative assessment action plan designed to meet the challenges of the core standards.
Come to a two-day ASCD Institute to discover how to lead staff in implementing the Common Core State Standards (CCSS). Leading the change demands fundamental shifts in classroom instruction and requires leaders who have deep understanding of their roles in taking the Standards to routing use in every classroom. This Institute provides you with action steps to implement the Common Core standards now. Throughout this Leadership development event, numerous opportunities are provided to explore processes, resources and tools you can adapt to use in your schools and districts.
Using the actual language of the Standards for Mathematical Practice, this one-day Institute engages you in activities to understand how the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) create shifts in classroom norms and instruction. An experienced presenter guides you through processes that support implementation of the standards, including
· Clustering standards to form manageable units.
· Writing scope and sequences for school districts.
· Unpacking standards for units.
· Instructional shifts needed for new assessments.
This Institute includes the development of an action plan for next steps, and engages you in
· Analyzing your school or district’s programs and practices.
· Determining implementation status and how new standards affect your local curriculum at appropriate levels: districts, school, or state.
· Practice clustering concepts in new math standards
· Developing an intentional plan for implementing the new standards and their instruction shifts.
Through close examination of English Language Arts (ELA) and Literacy standards, this one-day Institute engages you in activities to understand the instructional shifts of the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) and the resources and processes available to support their implementation. The presenter explains key concepts essential to a successful adoption, such as
· Close reading of multiple kinds of texts for multiple purposes.
· Writing scope and sequences for schools or districts.
· Clustering of standards to integrate appropriate strands of language arts.
· Addressing the implementation of reading and writing across the curriculum.
· Analyzing your school or district’s programs and practices
· Determining implementation status and how new standards affect your local curriculum at appropriate levels: district, school, or state.
· Practice clustering and unpacking concepts in new ELA and Literacy standards.
· Developing an intentional plan for implementing the new standards and their instructional shifts.