1703 North Beauregard St.
Alexandria, VA 22311-1714
Tel: 1-800-933-ASCD (2723)
8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. eastern time, Monday through Friday
Local to the D.C. area: 1-703-578-9600
Toll-free from U.S. and Canada: 1-800-933-ASCD (2723)
All other countries: (International Access Code) + 1-703-578-9600
With the vast education inequities that have existed for centuries, all that is known about how students learn, and the predictions regarding the world that our students will face tomorrow, using a traditional one-size-fits-all approach to teaching and learning is educational malpractice. Built on the foundation of leadership and school culture, the presenter’s redesigned learning experience fundamentally shifts the teaching and learning paradigm to one that is personal, is grounded in evidence, leverages technology, transforms the spaces in which learning occurs, helps educators grow professionally, promotes collaboration with the community, and, ultimately, ensures the sustainability of the system as a whole. Based on the presenter’s new ASCD book Learning Transformed: 8 Keys to Designing Tomorrow’s Schools Today (coauthored with Thomas Murray), this institute will dissect these eight keys, which each serve as a puzzle piece for redesigning the learning experience. Learn how to unlock tomorrow's schools so that today's modern learners leave ready to create new industries, find new cures, and solve world problems.
1. Develop an understanding of the crucial need for schools to transform learning in order to improve outcomes.
2. Identify and apply research-based strategies to effectively implement digital pedagogical techniques and create learner-centric environments.
3. Understand how to develop and showcase evidence that illustrates a return on instruction (i.e., validation that innovative practices are improving learning outcomes).
4. Identify tools and strategies to improve professional learning so that it becomes personal.
5. Learn how to effectively use technology, based on research, and analyze the current use in their school or district.
6. Evaluate current methods of community collaboration and begin to identify next steps to further develop their school or district brand while ensuring the sustainability of changes over time.