1703 North Beauregard St.
Alexandria, VA 22311-1714
Tel: 1-800-933-ASCD (2723)
8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. eastern time, Monday through Friday
Local to the D.C. area: 1-703-578-9600
Toll-free from U.S. and Canada: 1-800-933-ASCD (2723)
All other countries: (International Access Code) + 1-703-578-9600
ASCD Master Class Leadership DVD Series is an advanced seminar that examines the toughest and most thought-provoking education issues of the day. Hosted by Claudio Sanchez, education correspondent for National Public Radio, each episode takes an in-depth look at what’s working in schools today and what isn’t through conversations with teachers, administrators, and education experts.
1. ASCD Master Class Leadership Series: Teacher Evaluation DVDClaudio Sanchez talks with educator and researcher James H. Stronge about finding, keeping, and improving great teachers. Stronge is the Heritage Professor in the Educational Policy, Planning, and Leadership Area at the College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, Virginia.
2. ASCD Master Class Leadership Series: School Culture DVDAward-winning author, education consultant, and motivational speaker Baruti Kafele joins Claudio Sanchez in the studio to discuss how to create a positive school culture, with a special emphasis on the challenges faced by young black males. Principal Kafele has won numerous awards and recognition for his work as an educator. He is also the author of five education books, including his national best-seller, Motivating Black Males to Achieve in School and in Life.
3. ASCD Master Class Leadership Series: Professionalism DVDEducation and communications consultant Jennifer Abrams talks with Claudio Sanchez about professionalism and what that means in a school environment. Abrams is the author of several books, including Having Hard Conversations.
4. ASCD Master Class Leadership Series: Student Achievement DVDClaudio Sanchez talks with Yvette Jackson and Veronic McDermott about the principal’s role in student achievement. Jackson is the chief executive officer of National Urban Alliance for Effective Education; McDermott, a former school superintendent, is the regional director of the National Urban Alliance for Effective Education. They are coauthors of the book Aim High, Achieve More: How to Transform Urban Schools Through Fearless Leadership.
5. ASCD Master Class Leadership Series: Instructional LeadershipClaudio Sanchez talks with Mike Schmoker, author of Focus: Elevating the Essentials to Radically Improve Student Learning, about the impact of varied education reform movements on instruction—particularly around reading and writing, teacher control, and student achievement. Schmoker is a former school administrator and teacher who now travels the country speaking on education issues and consulting with schools.
(ASCD DVD, 2013) Five 45- to 55-minute DVDs.