Back to Total Literacy Techniques: Tools to Help Students Analyze Literature and Informational Texts EBOOK
Boosting your students' literacy requires addressing all the interconnected elements of emotion, cognition, and higher-order thinking. You can meet that challenge with the advice from two ASCD best-selling authors Pérsida Himmele and William Himmele and a classroom teacher Keely Potter. This guide for grade 3–12 teachers provides 50 classroom-tested tools and techniques to ensure you
- Plan lessons that grow your students' academic language.
- Help students explicitly and implicitly develop and monitor their ability to think.
- Ensure students are not just consumers of powerful words, but producers of powerful words.
- Encourage students to process texts in higher-order peer interactions.
- Support students so that they are able to not only cite text-based evidence, but also coherently interpret its relevance for the reader.
Reflections from real teachers and students bring these practices to life.
(ASCD E-Book, 2014) PDF e-book accompanied by bonus MOBI and EPUB files for use on e-book readers like the Kindle and the Nook. See the e-book FAQ link for information about device compatibility.