For success in school and in life, students need more than academic proficiency and good test scores. Author Tom Hoerr shows how to foster the “Formative Five” attributes that today’s students need:
- Empathy: learning to see the world through others’ perspectives.
- Self-control: cultivating the abilities to focus and delay self-gratification.
- Integrity: recognizing right from wrong and practicing ethical behavior.
- Embracing diversity: recognizing and appreciating human differences.
- Grit: persevering in the face of challenge.
When students are engaged in understanding and developing these five skills, mindsets change and expectations for student learning are raised. Includes specific suggestions and strategies to help teachers and principals prepare their students for success beyond school.
(ASCD E-Book, 2016) PDF e-book accompanied by bonus MOBI and EPUB files for use on e-book readers like the Kindle and the Nook. See the e-book FAQ link for information about device compatibility.