Back to Formative Assessment: Deepening Understanding (Reimagined) [PDO]
With Formative Assessment: Deepening Understanding, you’ll move beyond the basics of formative assessment to get to the heart of the topic. Through the six course modules, you’ll delve into the kinds of activities that allow students to apply what they’ve learned, review the variety of formative assessments that enable you to evaluate whether, how much, and what students are learning, and discover how to put student learning data to work.
- Understand the need to teach for and assess creative and critical thinking.
- Explore the need to teach for and assess deep content knowledge.
- Analyze the need to assess knowledge and skill in combination.
- Explain the role of actionable pre-assessment.
- Survey a variety of formative assessment strategies that can inform classroom instruction.
- Make instructional decisions based on data yielded by formative assessments.
- Understand how effective questioning can yield important formative assessment data.
- Examine how effective student discussions can yield important formative assessment data.
- Compare and contrast the uses and limits of testing as a formative assessment tool.
- Understand the uses of cooperative learning as a formative assessment tool.
- Appraise ways that students can track and manage their progress.
- Explore ways that students can evaluate their progress.
(ASCD PD Online course, 2011) Reimagined self-paced asynchronous online course. Upon completion, learners will be awarded an ASCD Certificate worth up to 20 Clock Hours.