Back to Bullying: Taking Charge, 2nd Edition (Reimagined)
In Bullying: Taking Charge: An ASCD PD Online® Course, you will explore what bullying is and why it is important to address it on the student, teacher, and school level. You will also learn some practical tools for confronting and preventing bullying. Through video examples, in-depth readings, and problem-solving scenarios, you’ll learn how to recognize and detect bullying, address bullying with the bully as well as the victim, discuss bullying with students through classroom activities, and implement a communitywide bullying prevention program.
- Identify the academic, moral, and legal implications of bullying.
- Differentiate bullying from other student behaviors.
- Identify strategies and activities that can help teachers and students talk about bullying.
- Learn how to assess the school environment and identify bullying behaviors.
- Develop creative and effective strategies for helping teachers and students recognize and talk about bullying.
- Analyze what breaks the cycle of bullying.
- Establish strategies to effectively mediate bullying incidents—prompting the participants in the bullying cycle to recognize their behavior and take responsibility for it.
- Understand how character development and bullying prevention can be woven into the curriculum.
- Develop effective, simple techniques for teaching students appropriate, prosocial behaviors as part of the curriculum.
- Understand the attributes, modes, and dangers of the growing trend of cyberbullying.
- Understand the academic, moral, and legal implications of cyberbullying.
- Develop effective strategies for addressing and preventing cyberbullying.
- Understand the importance of a whole-community approach to bullying intervention.
- Develop a successful bullying intervention program on the school and community level.
(ASCD PD Online course, 2011) Self-paced asynchronous online course. Upon completion, learners will be awarded an ASCD Certificate worth up to 20 Clock Hours.