Back to Embracing Diversity: Effective Teaching, 2nd Edition (Reimagined) [PDO]
In Embracing Diversity: Effective Teaching, you’ll consider the importance of building respect for racial and multicultural diversity, as well as combating gender and sexual bias through curriculum. You will also explore the role of conflict resolution and character education in helping build learning environments that embrace diversity. Through video examples and in-depth readings, you will learn practical tools for building respect for all students.
- Explain the reasons behind teaching tolerance and appreciation of diversity.
- Brainstorm ways to make students feel welcome in the classroom.
- Describe strengths and challenges that students from a variety of racial and cultural backgrounds bring to the classroom.
- Develop strategies for addressing diverse challenges of students by building on students’ strengths.
- Analyze research findings on the gender gaps in academic achievement.
- Establish strategies to address gender bias in the classroom.
- Identify the role that literature can play in helping students form multiple perspectives and embrace diversity.
- Design strategies for including multicultural literature in lessons and units.
- Explore how conflict resolution can help reduce school violence and help students embrace diversity.
- Apply conflict resolution techniques to a student conflict scenario.
- Examine how teaching civic and social responsibility contributes to tolerance and embracing diversity.
- Devise strategies for incorporating civic and character education into the curriculum.
(ASCD PD Online course, 2011) Self-paced asynchronous online course. Upon completion, learners will be awarded an ASCD Certificate worth up to 20 Clock Hours.