Back to Understanding Student Motivation, 2nd Edition (Reimagined) [PDO]
In Understanding Student Motivation: An ASCD PD Online® Course, you’ll examine the basics of motivation and the role that motivation plays in academic performance. Through readings, video examples, and application exercises, you’ll learn how to establish strategies to create a respectful and connected classroom, balance structure and choice to create a positive attitude toward learning, set expectations, create challenging and engaging activities that are personally relevant to students, and develop strategies to help students feel more competent and confident in the classroom.
- Examine the role student motivation plays in academic performance.
- Analyze five basic human needs and their relevance in the classroom.
- Compare and contrast extrinsic and intrinsic motivation, in the context of academic performance.
- Analyze which elements of the classroom environment may contribute to students’ intrinsic motivation.
- Identify how respect and connectedness help create a welcoming classroom and meet students’ needs for belonging and safety.
- Establish strategies to create a classroom atmosphere inclusive of students’ cultural backgrounds, individual capabilities, and learning styles.
- Examine the role that choice, structure, and expectations play in nurturing students’ positive attitude toward learning.
- Develop effective, simple techniques for building classroom activities that incorporate choice while providing the appropriate amount of structure and guidance.
- Understand the types of assignments and activities that are meaningful and relevant to students.
- Create challenging and engaging activities to make learning meaningful and relevant to students.
- Identify ways to help students feel competent and successful in the classroom.
- Develop strategies for boosting competence and confidence of all learners in the classroom.
(ASCD PD Online course, 2011) Self-paced asynchronous online course. Upon completion, learners will be awarded an ASCD Certificate worth up to 20 Clock Hours.