Back to Building Teachers’ Capacity for Success: Instructional Coaching Essentials (Reimagined) [PDO]
In this course, you will have the opportunity to deepen your knowledge and hone your instructional coaching skills. Whether your role is an instructional coach, department chair, team leader, curriculum specialist, teacher-mentor, or any other role designed to support classroom teachers’ growth and development, this course is for you. It has been carefully constructed to highlight the most salient elements of effective instructional coaching techniques, enabling you to become a stronger, more successful instructional leader. Instructional coaching, as you likely know already, is an innovative approach to providing job-embedded professional development for teachers. As you may also know all too well, the job descriptions of instructional coaches are often incomplete or nonexistent. In this course, you will receive clarity on the coach’s role; a plethora of strategies; and a compelling, strengths-based focus to guide your work with the many unique teachers in your domain. Through consistent, intentional application of the approaches you will learn and practice in this course, you will empower yourself to build your teachers’ capacity for success.
- Identify elements of a differentiated coaching model.
- Reflect on characteristics that help influence people to change, grow, and learn.
- Clarify the role of an instructional coach.
- Compare and contrast your current coaching model with the Continuum of Self-Reflection.
- Reconstruct a visual representation of the Continuum of Self-Reflection.
- Identify characteristics of teachers in the Action stage of reflection.
- Select appropriate strategies for fictional teachers in the Action stage.
- Choose and evaluate a teacher with whom you can create a coaching plan.
- Analyze the three-step coaching model.
- Select appropriate strategies to support an actual teacher.
- Match coaching strategies to the recipient.
- Engage in differentiated coaching strategies to support a specific teacher.
- Evaluate the impact of coaching interventions.
- Create a plan to implement strategies with more teachers.
- Create a flyer that advertises your coaching model and encourages continued self-reflection.
(ASCD PD Online course, 2015) Self-paced asynchronous online course. Upon completion, learners will be awarded an ASCD Certificate worth up to 20 Clock Hours.