Back to The Language-Rich Classroom: A Research-Based Framework for Teaching English Language Learners
Because it takes more than just a single teacher—or group of teachers—to raise the academic achievement of English language learners (ELLs), you need this book’s schoolwide framework to help all ELLs reach their full potential. Discover a way to empower all teachers—even those with no formal training in ESL—with a research-based approach that includes
- Content reading strategies that help ELLs overcome the challenges of academic reading.
- Ways to develop the higher-order thinking skills of ELLs, so they read for deeper meaning and demonstrate their understandings.
- Tools for informally assessing the progress of ELLs through all five stages of language proficiency.
- Techniques for increasing the active participation of ELLs.
- Scaffolds that help second-language learners take on more challenging and demanding content.
To help teachers use this framework right away, the authors include lots of field-tested unit and lesson planning worksheets, assessment logs, and instructional steps. (ASCD book, 2009) 7 7/8" x 9 7/8", 197 pages. Also available as an E-Book!