While there are lots of books and courses on school leadership strategies, it's a whole other thing to actually see what effective principals do and hear them, in their own words, explain what works in their schools. Here's a new DVD that brings that extra dimension to your workshop, education course, principal academy, or self-help learning. Experienced elementary and secondary school leaders join experts Richard DuFour and Karen Dyer in relating strategies for setting the direction of the school, shaping the culture, leading instruction, and managing operations and resources. Succinct scenes in an easily accessed format demonstrate effective leadership strategies for
- Creating a safe environment for teachers and students.
- Establishing a vision and building commitment to achieving school goals.
- Promoting a collaborative, results-oriented culture dedicated to continuous improvement.
- Providing strong instructional leadership as a path to student achievement.
Each segment of this 70-minute program contains multiple suggestions for handling the principal's many responsibilities and challenges:
(ASCD DVD, 2007) One 70-minute DVD accompanied by the book The New Principal's Fieldbook: Strategies for Success by Pam Robbins and Harvey Alvy
- How to use school budgets, schedules, and other structures to support school improvement goals.
- Using walkthroughs, breakfast meetings, and teacher-led workshops to support teacher professional development.
- Ways to develop your staff's sense of ownership of school improvement goals.
- How to involve students and parents in shaping the school's culture.