Back to Simply Better: Doing What Matters Most to Change the Odds for Student Success EBOOK
Drawing from the research base that informed the ASCD best-selling series of What Works In Schools titles, this book identifies key principles at the heart of what it takes to help all students become successful learners. Education research expert Bryan Goodwin separates the school improvement ideas that really work from those that just appear to work and provides you with a What Matters Most Framework that focuses your school on how to change the odds for under-served children by
- Guaranteeing challenging, engaging, and intentional instruction.
- Ensuring curricular pathways to success.
- Providing whole-child student supports.
- Creating high-performance school cultures.
- Developing high-reliability district systems.
To guide your implementation of these principles, Simply Better
describes lots of strategic touchstones to keep in mind, such as
- Why teachers must both challenge and nurture students in order to boost achievement.
- How curriculum can be standardized across systems yet personalized to individual student needs and interests.
- What to do to counter the negative effects of poor motivation, health issues, unsupportive home environments, and insufficient background knowledge.
- How principals can take immediate steps to reduce the variance in teacher quality in their schools.
(ASCD E-Book copublished with McREL, 2011) PDF e-book accompanied by bonus MOBI and EPUB files for use on e-book readers like the Kindle and the Nook. See the e-book FAQ link for information about device compatibility.
Please note: This is an electronic product, available for download only. To order the hard copy of this book, please click here.
Book Reviews for Simply Better: Doing What Matters Most to Change the Odds for Student Success
"Goodwin's efforts show, and the result is a concise, clear, and engaging text for both administrators and teacher-leaders. Although not meant to be a step-by-step process for overhauling a school or district, the book is full of practical, pertinent, and deceptively simple principles for educators to change the odds for students."
—Jeff Mann, English teacher, Indianapolis, Ind.
"Simply Better: Doing What Matters Most to Change the Odds for Student Success exposes the elephant in the room that educators will not acknowledge—the enormous accumulation of education research that has had negligible impact on student achievement. Author Bryan Goodwin, vice president of communications and marketing at Mid-continent Research for Education and Learning, distills and condenses complex and often contradictory research findings into a manageable course of action. . . . The groundwork Goodwin presents in each chapter is straight forward and compelling."
—Jim Frenck, retired associate professor of teacher education,
Roberts Wesleyan College, Rochester, N.Y.
Reprinted with permission from the August 2012 issue of School Administrator
magazine, published by the American Association of School Administrators.