AEP Distinguished Achievement Award Winner!
If you’ve ever had a student who openly defies authority, ignores instructions, and becomes aggressive when confronted, here’s a book that explains why noncompliant students are becoming more prevalent and what you can do to minimize their impact on the learning environment.
Backed by the latest research and supported by real-life stories of students, the authors explain
- Why verbal directives, rewards, punishments, and other common strategies don’t work.
- Which teacher behaviors are most apt to detonate oppositional behavior.
- How to engineer the student’s environment so that the right response is the easiest response.
- Why "emotional safety" is a critical element to your classroom management.
- How to remove a defiant student from the classroom with dignity.
To help get at the root causes of defiance, the authors also describe how schools can provide parent training and comprehensive treatment programs that better prepare these students for the school environment.
(ASCD book, 2003) 6" x 9", 205 pages.
Also available as an eBook!