Back to Everyday Engagement: Making Students and Parents Your Partners in Learning
While there are lots of books about how to engage students more effectively in the classroom, here at last is a book that also makes engaging parents part of a solution to higher student achievement. Top-selling ASCD author and classroom teacher Katy Ridnouer explains what you need to do to lay the groundwork for student-parent engagement and roll out a year-long strategy that keeps students in class, behavior in check, and learning on track:
- How to invite students and parents to engage.
- What to do when your invitations are rejected.
- Ways to tap outside resources to extend learning into the home and community.
Explore pro-engagement action and attitudes that help you embed student-parent engagement into everyday practice, including
- Effective push-backs to the typical excuses for failure.
- Communication routines that draw in disaffected students and parents.
- Ways to match student and parent activity to student and parent interests.
- Steps for getting parents to support their children’s work ethic and improve their attitude toward learning.
(ASCD book, 2011) 6" x 9", 219 pages.
Also available as an E-Book!