Back to Teaching the Critical Vocabulary of the Common Core: 55 Words That Make or Break Student Understanding
Instead of wading through long vocabulary lists and drill-and-kill exercises, read this book that focuses you on the 55 most critical words from the Common Core State Standards that your students need to know and use in their everyday lives. Popular ASCD author Marilee Sprenger explains the compelling reasons to teach these words and equips you with fun and memorable strategies you can use to make them stick in students' minds. Understand
- Why to teach vocabulary early and throughout a student’s academic career in fun and interesting ways.
- How to engage students' memory system so that words and definitions are embedded in their brains and become instantly accessible.
- Which verbs, nouns, and other words are critical to test taking, academics, and life.
- Ways to motivate vocabulary acquisition by using jingles, graphic organizers, computer games, and movement activities.
- How to keep vocabulary alive in the minds of students by teaching words across content areas, on classroom assessments, and during classroom conversations.
Lots of lesson building ideas for every grade ensure you impart the language of the Common Core standards to students throughout the year.
(ASCD book, 2013) 7" x 9", 220 pages
Book Review for Teaching the Critical Vocabulary of the Common Core: 55 Words That Make or Break Student Understanding
“Marilee provides teachers with a practical, flexible approach for not only identifying the most important Tier II words for students within the common core, but she also provides the reader with great interactive activities to help students process the words.”
Kristen Swanson, Ed.D, BrighBytes Senior Educational Technology Leader, San Francisco, CA
Reprinted with permission from KristenSwanson.org.