1703 North Beauregard St.
Alexandria, VA 22311-1714
Tel: 1-800-933-ASCD (2723)
8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. eastern time, Monday through Friday
Local to the D.C. area: 1-703-578-9600
Toll-free from U.S. and Canada: 1-800-933-ASCD (2723)
All other countries: (International Access Code) + 1-703-578-9600
Attention ASCD Members: You get free access to download PDFs of Education Update back issues. Visit the Education Update Archives page and log in to your ASCD account to download.
Education UpdateVolume 61, Number 12December 2019Abolitionist Teaching in Action
1. Abolitionist Teaching in Action: Q&A with Bettina L. LoveKate Stoltzfus
2. Holding High, Not Hurried, Expectations for ELLsBarbara Gottschalk
3. High-Quality Lesson Planning, GANAG-StyleJane E. Pollock, Susan Hensley, and Laura Tolone
4. Name a book that has had a big influence on you as an educator.
5. What strategies do you use when interacting with a student who is provocative—or even threatening?
In Building Equity, Dominique Smith, Nancy Frey, Ian Pumpian, and Douglas Fisher, colleagues at San Diego’s innovative Health Sciences High & Middle College, introduce the School Equity Taxonomy, a new model to clarify the structural and interpersonal components of an equitable and excellent schooling experience, and the School Equity Audit, a survey-based tool to help school and teacher leaders uncover equity-related issues. Built on the authors’ own experiences and those of hundreds of educators throughout the United States, this book is filled with examples of policy initiatives and practices that support critical standards of equity and high-quality, inclusive learning experiences.